How many of us commit every year to read the bible in a year and by the time we make it to Leviticus we've already given up? For the past three New Years I've said I was going to read the bible in a year, but have yet to do it. This year Cody & I decided to commit to spiritual growth in general but would like to incorporate reading the bible in a year. John Piper tweeted about his bible reading plan that leaves five days to catch up--get it here. So we are five days late already but I guess it works out since there are five days to catch up--but we started it last night. This year I hope to blog about our journey through the bible as well as some of the wonderful things I learn through the books I have on the shelf to read this year...For Women Only, The Power of a Praying Wife, and Love & Respect. I'd love your opinions and your insight as I take this journey into spiritual growth alone and with my husband.
Reading Plan Day 1: Matthew 1:1-17, Acts 1:1-11, Psalms 1 and Genesis 1-2
Honestly I have probably read all three of these every year based on my glorious attempts to read the bible in a year. But each time I read something I tend to get something out of it that I didn't before or am reminded yet again of how good our God truly is.
Acts 1:7 reads "He said to them, 'It is not for you to know the times or seasons that the Father has fixed by his own authority.' "
What a beautiful reminder to me that my timing and God's timing are not the same. I am aware the context of this verse is regarding the ascension of Christ which in and of itself is beautiful enough for me. But when I read this last night I could help but be reminded that God has set aside specific times for each of us and knows just what is going to happen in our lives. And that those things really aren't for us to know but to be able to trust in Him is everything. This is difficult for me most of the time, but have recently seen God at work in my life by showing me that his time is perfect and mine is far from it.
Although I have read Genesis 1 & 2 before...I am still reminded of some things and even taught new things as I read it last night. One of my favorite things about Genesis 1 is that God creates the Heavens and the Earth and when he is finished he says that is it good. Then when he creates man he says that it is very good. I love that when God created man he was satisfied enough to say that we were very good--knowing we would be the ones to sin against him. How beautiful!
In Genesis 2:17 God commands Adam not to eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Although I have heard many times someone say that the fall is not on Eve but on Adam I never really remembered this verse. God commands Adam before Eve was ever created. Eve may have fallen into temptation but where was Adam to step up and say "No Eve--God commanded us not to eat of this tree" I mean I've heard it preached a million times especially recently through pre-marital counseling but to read that and realize that Eve wasn't even around yet--made such a difference to me in my understanding of the role of husband and wife.
What's your thoughts?
Reading Plan Day 1: Matthew 1:1-17, Acts 1:1-11, Psalms 1 and Genesis 1-2
Honestly I have probably read all three of these every year based on my glorious attempts to read the bible in a year. But each time I read something I tend to get something out of it that I didn't before or am reminded yet again of how good our God truly is.
Acts 1:7 reads "He said to them, 'It is not for you to know the times or seasons that the Father has fixed by his own authority.' "
What a beautiful reminder to me that my timing and God's timing are not the same. I am aware the context of this verse is regarding the ascension of Christ which in and of itself is beautiful enough for me. But when I read this last night I could help but be reminded that God has set aside specific times for each of us and knows just what is going to happen in our lives. And that those things really aren't for us to know but to be able to trust in Him is everything. This is difficult for me most of the time, but have recently seen God at work in my life by showing me that his time is perfect and mine is far from it.
Although I have read Genesis 1 & 2 before...I am still reminded of some things and even taught new things as I read it last night. One of my favorite things about Genesis 1 is that God creates the Heavens and the Earth and when he is finished he says that is it good. Then when he creates man he says that it is very good. I love that when God created man he was satisfied enough to say that we were very good--knowing we would be the ones to sin against him. How beautiful!
In Genesis 2:17 God commands Adam not to eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Although I have heard many times someone say that the fall is not on Eve but on Adam I never really remembered this verse. God commands Adam before Eve was ever created. Eve may have fallen into temptation but where was Adam to step up and say "No Eve--God commanded us not to eat of this tree" I mean I've heard it preached a million times especially recently through pre-marital counseling but to read that and realize that Eve wasn't even around yet--made such a difference to me in my understanding of the role of husband and wife.
What's your thoughts?
0 comments:
Post a Comment